KI für Komposition / Computer einziges Instrument

• Seite 2 von 2
02.06.2024 17:39 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 02.06.2024 17:40)
#16 RE: KI für Komposition / Computer einziges Instrument

Zitat von Regal acht im Beitrag #15
Ein pro-Argument, das mir einfällt, wäre, dass die Leute, wenn sie selbst das Knöpfchen drücken, damit die KI etwas generiert, das Gefühl haben, selbst mitgearbeitet zu haben; das fühlt sich ja eigentlich immer gut an.

Wie man es sieht. Mir gefällt es besser, wenn ich etwas selbst gemacht habe und nicht nur (vielleicht unwesentlich) daran beteiligt war. Anders ist es mit Werkzeugen, die mir keinen Teil meiner Kreativität abnehmen, sondern meine Arbeit lediglich mehr oder weniger erleichtern.

Ich weiss, selber kreativ sein zu müssen ist weder ein Garant für tatsächliche Kreativität noch für eine gute Qualität. Aber meines Erachtens befriedigt es mehr. Mich jedenfalls.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
04.06.2024 01:02
#17 RE: KI für Komposition / Computer einziges Instrument
li

Zitat von Choralbass im Beitrag #16
Anders ist es mit Werkzeugen, die mir keinen Teil meiner Kreativität abnehmen, sondern meine Arbeit lediglich mehr oder weniger erleichtern.

Agreed that producing something gives one the a feeling of accomplishment, regardless of its "objective" qualities. What is so interesting is that sense is known as the "IKEA effect" which is a cognitive bias that ascribes "disproportionately high worth to items we helped create." (see Chapter 11 "The Life-Changing Magic of Becoming a Mediocre Crafter" in Amanda Montell's The Age of Magical Overthinking.)

There are many details to that bias, but it does become a problem in understanding what AI/generative models are actually providing.

Sorry if the following nouns "performing arts" and "fine arts" are clunky/old-style, but I proceed...

The performing arts (dance, music, drama/plays, etc.) are often based on a "text" (choreography, musical score, script, etc.) where in the creative act is in choosing and making performing choices. Aleatoric and improvisation works excluded for the moment.

Fine arts are works that aren't dependent on any particular performance, but stand on their "own" (such as novels, paintings, musical scores, choreography (though some are designed for performance)). The historically considered creativity of such fine arts is what AI/generative models are attempting to automate. Most creators of fine arts works have chosen aspects of predecessor or contemporary creators' works to react to (copy, vary, create against) in creating their fine arts works. It is in the "reacting to" wherein the creator develops relatively deep understanding of those other creators' works--that is, the creator develops intellectual understanding of the means of creating. In an earlier post, I used the term "critical apparatus" which is really that intellectual understand of the means of creating. Without that, any work produced will have little coherence/cohesion determined by a number of specific choices made by a human creator.

Yes, a weekend painter may paint what they call a Da Vinci, but it is very unlikely to contain the specific signatures and coherence of the paintings Da Vinci created. In prior decades/centuries, would-be-professional creators AND forgers would be the most motivated to critically assess the signatures/coherence of existing works (I know an art forger!). Their desire and direct effort to understand specific signatures and coherence of works is what enabled them more or less to copy/react to existing works.

Now AI/generative models promise easy access to the productive capability of such specific knowledge of works' signatures and coherence without the understanding. IKEA-like music composition and painting are here AND we will be disproportionately pleased with making them. The question is: how much will we value such works relative to valuing the originals from which the signatures and coherence has been taken?

I assembled eight tall, white IKEA bookcases with glass-paned doors, and yes, I value them for their looks but much more for the book-supporting service they provide. BUT, they will never compare in pride to the equally-tall MDF and plywood shelved cabinets I designed, cut from full sheets of wood materials, and assembled in my garage. There is so much more of my creativity and understanding in the garage shelf cabinets than the IKEA bookcases, way more. Both carry the weight of things I want to store, but their is no comparison in relation to my creativity.

That is the tradeoff--adding a decision or two to a nearly finished thing (AI/generative model (IKEA)) or design and building yourself. And know that none of us can tell what the next thing we're going to create is, let alone guess what Joseph Haydn would have composed next. To induce even more caution, think about any of the new possible variations of Haydn piano sonatas--how do you know that he'd already considered some of the ideas AI generates and rejected them?

Sorry for length, I didn't have time for a short respone .

This is a very interesting topic.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!