Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!

• Seite 1 von 6
30.10.2022 21:24 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 30.10.2022 21:25)
avatar  DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )
#1 Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di
DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )

Dear all,

following the previous two threads that discussed the most recent technological advancements of digital organs, I am offering to prepare an experimental research (well, let's not take it too seriously), a test to compare the different technologies offered by the major digital organ brands on the market today and submit it to all of you for evaluation.

The idea is to process audio samples from the leading manufacturers, Viscount - Johannus - Rodgers - Allen, and see which one provides the most credible pipe organ (fake) sound.

We need to control some independent variables so as to allow all the participants the same conditions:

- we need to play the piece via midi, so that different interpretations/tempo/phrasing will not influence the listener;

- we need to establish the stop combination that puts the instruments in troubles. This is not difficult, normally the Tutti is the worst combination for all organs ;) In this case, we should ideally chose instruments of similar size, not to compare an Allen with 150 stops with a Viscount Sonus 40;

- the audio samples will be processed by myself on the same DAW, same reverb engine. The files should be stereo, the gain will be equalised not to allow greater sound pressures to make an impression on the listener.

- the audio samples should be recorded directly from the organ, not with an external microphone, and not compressed, ideally 24 bit, 48 Khz.

Once processed, I will submit the final products to the forum for the evaluation. We will collect the data and proclaim the winner (if there is one).

Shall we?

Antworten

Beitrag melden
30.10.2022 21:31
#2 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
ah

I'm in!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
30.10.2022 21:46
#3 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

Zitat von ahlborn im Beitrag #2
I'm in!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
30.10.2022 22:31
#4 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!

SEHR interessant!! 👍🏻

PLZ (erste zwei Ziffern): 69

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 04:25
#5 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
li

I'm in, too!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 05:48
#6 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

Zitat von live3TA im Beitrag #5
I'm in, too!

Thanks, Jeff! And thanks for having submitted an audio example of the dry sound of the Johannus Live3TA, which, I can say, sounds and looks suitable for our purpose!

Now, we need someone with a Rodgers and an Allen! Also Content, if you like!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 05:50
#7 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
SJL

Which Sample-Set of the LIVE has been chosen? I am just curious because the are so much different.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 06:11
#8 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

No sample chosen for the test so far. And probably this should not be disclosed as it will introduce an element for identification during the blind test.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 06:47
#9 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
SJL

Naja, so ganz irrelevant finde ich das nicht. Wie gesagt, die Sets haben sehr unterschiedliche Stärken. Insbesondere bei dem von dir angesprochenen Tutti (wenn man es denn nutzt) liegen qualitativ schon spürbare Abstufungen zwischen alleine den 4 Sets, die ich besitze.

Lassen wir denn auch Werkszustand gegen Werkszustand antreten, damit es fair bleibt? Nicht dass nachher ein BMW Alpina gegen eine Taxi-E-Klasse fährt, um mal wieder einen Autovergleich zu nutzen.

Aber macht ihr mal, bin gespannt, was der "Laborversuch" zutage fördert.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 06:58
#10 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

We will certainly arrange things for all the samples to have some consistency. Testing a German Baroque vs an Aeolian Skinner would not make much sense

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 07:37 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 31.10.2022 07:43)
#11 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
SJL

Zitat von DigitalPipes im Beitrag #10
We will certainly arrange things for all the samples to have some consistency. Testing a German Baroque vs an Aeolian Skinner would not make much sense

Ja, logisch.

Trotzdem finde ich es ja ganz spannend, dass es immer wieder dieses durch alle Altersklassen, Berufsgruppen und Gehaltsstufen anzutreffende Bedürfnis gibt, mittels Wettbewerb die Welt in Gewinner und Verlierer zu sortieren. Eine friedliche Koexistenz verschiedener Wege, zum Ziel zu kommen oder gar glücklich zu werden, ist genetisch nicht so vorgesehen, scheint mir

Anyway, lasset die Spiele beginnen...

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 08:12
#12 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

Let’s not take things too seriously, it is not about establishing winners and losers from an ideological or sociological point of view. It’s a playful, sportive, alternative way to interact with each other. So, what if it turns out that a Johannus treated in the way I treat Physis sounds better than Physis? Becase the samples I received from Jeff are very promising… Shall I cry a river over it? Naaaaa

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 08:24
#13 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
SJL

Mein Kommentar war auch nicht "too seriously" gemeint. Ich bin ja auch gespannt.

Dennoch ist es eine doch ernstgemeinte Beobachtung: Es gibt einfach unfassbar viele Leute, die intrinsisch Spaß haben am aktiven Wettbewerb (in der Jugend Armdrücken, Rad-/Mofa-Wettrennen, um bei den zahmen Beispielen zu bleiben; später dann Gehälter/Häuser/Autos/... oder eben Orgeln vergleichen). Das hat mich halt nie so richtig gejuckt. So ist es fast erstaunlich, dass trotzdem halbwegs was aus mir geworden ist

Danke jedenfalls, dass du dir die Mühe machst.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 11:45
#14 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
PM
PM

@Paolo: what do you need? a midifile from the internal sequenser of my Physisorgan? With a tutti? But which tutti (i.e., normally the vox celeste and 'little' solo reeds are not part of a reasonable tutte.
So, please, some more directions if I am to join the tests.

PS if a midifile from the sequenser is not what you want, I cannot join, as you know I'm a technical nitwit, not even able to connect external speakers or reverb to my organ.

„Bach ist Anfang und Ende aller Musik, auf ihm ruht und fuszt jeder wahre Fortschritt“  - Max Reger

Antworten

Beitrag melden
31.10.2022 12:25 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 31.10.2022 12:35)
#15 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!

Ich könnte meine Viscount Prestige 80 (eigene Disposition) ins Rennen werfen. Sie ist zwar etwas betagt, aber genau das macht den Reiz aus. Da ich mich mit der Soundbearbeitung auskenne, ist es für mich einfach, eine Audioaufnahme zu machen.

Interessant wäre es für mich auch, die mit denen anderer Prestige-Besitzer zu vergleichen.

Meine Empfehlung: Ein Stück mit Tutti und das gleiche Stück nochmal mit einer Registrierung, die der Eigentümer selbst wählt und vorstellt ODER mit einer vorgegebenen Registrierung, die (fast) alle Orgeln haben dürften. Dann wird die Vergleichbarkeit größer.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!