Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!

• Seite 5 von 6
04.11.2022 17:25 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 04.11.2022 17:25)
avatar  DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )
#61 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di
DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )

Zitat von live3TA im Beitrag #58
Paulo--the links to the LiVE3TA recordings have been sent in a PM to you.

@live3TA

Hi Jeff, need to write here because there is no possibility to attache images in the private messages. There is some clipping in the files you send me, at the end on the last chords. It means the the gain you are using for the recording is too high, you should lower it a little ;)

clipping.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Antworten

Beitrag melden
04.11.2022 17:30
#62 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

Any idea, wishes, prefereces about the type or reverb that should be applied? I would go with a pretty lush one considering the grand stop combinations we are using, but I am open to suggestions before diving into the DAW.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
04.11.2022 22:13
#63 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
li

Paolo,

I've sent a link to a recording set to the correct octave...no wonder the first sounded so dark

I would suggest, if possible, "moderately" lush as the ~8 seconds of reverb of the Cavaille-Coll in Notre Dame D'Auteil makes the Preludio Festivo as registered and midi-played sound a bit crowded/blurry.

Thanks!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 07:57
#64 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

Zitat von ahlborn im Beitrag #54

Anyone with Allen and Rodgers who can participate?

But also with dry hauptwerk, why not? I do not have any dry sample, well, I am still with Hautpwerk 4...

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 13:15
#65 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

Zitat von live3TA im Beitrag #63

I would suggest, if possible, "moderately" lush as the ~8 seconds of reverb of the Cavaille-Coll in Notre Dame D'Auteil makes the Preludio Festivo as registered and midi-played sound a bit crowded/blurry.

Oh no, 8 seconds is way too much, I would stay around 4 seconds and maybe put a little bit of modulation sugar on the tail of the reverb.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 13:18
#66 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

I started processing the files I received and there is an issue related to the ensemble and wind-pressure parameters, both for the files of @live3TA and @ahlborn, where Jeff is using a lot of detuning and Gianluca not so much. We should stay midway, but how do we get to that?

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 15:18 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 05.11.2022 15:25)
#67 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
ah

This is for me the first real obstacle when doing tests of this kind.
I fear it is impossible to get halfway, because it is too subjective an evaluation; for example, in my intonation I have worked out the ensemble and air supply individually for each keyboard, according to what I like to hear from a French romantic organ.
But the perception is indeed subjective (a more pronounced ensemble is simply "out of tune" for my ears), this means that it is very complex to do a test starting from "sound material" programmed by different users who have different tastes.
So, in my opinion (also considering that it is a game), the sent files correspond to the sonic ideal of who has programmed them and plays them with (more or less) satisfaction.
It costs me nothing to record files with a major ensemble, but it would be something that would not have my "artistic approval" (if it could have any value), precisely because it would be something unnatural for me (for my organ, and basically, the my environment!).
I would be of the opinion that the files should be processed as they are received by the users; unless it's a technical problem (see post above, clipping, etc.), where it certainly makes sense to request a new corrected file without distortion, but I would feel I don't have to make any "aesthetic" changes..

It's just my thoughts..

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 15:58 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 05.11.2022 16:02)
#68 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

Zitat von ahlborn im Beitrag #67

But the perception is indeed subjective (a more pronounced ensemble is simply "out of tune" for my ears), this means that it is very complex to do a test starting from "sound material" programmed by different users who have different tastes.

yes and no. There is certainly a degree of subjectivity in these things but when the organ sounds like having a rotary speaker...

It costs me nothing to record files with a major ensemble, but it would be something that would not have my "artistic approval" (if it could have any value), precisely because it would be something unnatural for me (for my organ, and basically, the my environment!).

Fine, I was just raising a personal concern, we can stay with the existing files. There is another major issue: we decided to record from the stereo output of the organs. While for Johannus this is the only possible way, for Physis it is not, and it is definitely not the best way. I can tell, from the first tests, that operating on such a recording does not allow by far to reach the results I have with separate channels. So, we understand that when we are talking about comparing technologies, it is more than comparing modeling and sampling, all the other features of the instruments have a big importance too.

for example, in my intonation I have worked out the ensemble and air supply individually for each keyboard, according to what I like to hear from a French romantic organ.

I did not know this is possible. How did you do that?

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 16:32 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 05.11.2022 16:33)
#69 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
li

My "moderately" lush is also about 4 seconds for the reverb.

Regarding the Johannus detuning, that is not my preference.

My first post to the forum about two weeks ago was for recommendations on different ways to reduce/remove the detuning on the Celeste, but, the randomized detuning affects the entire instrument in a mostly displeasing way.

I will use Intonat to greatly reduce the detuning--it will be my first adjustment attempt so it might take a day or two. Of course, let me know if I shouldn't rush it because I've already submitted the "competition" sound file.

Because I admire AND envy the sound Ahlborn has created with his Sonus, I would suggest that he not "un-do" any of his customizations as that is one of the reasons for "adjustable" DOs. I do wish there was another LiVE 3T owner who had adjusted their instrument to their optimal satisfaction, but I guess my first efforts will have to do

Just for information sake and I will not attempt it at this time, but the 3T also has controls over the wind supply to divisions.

I think we're learning a lot about DOs with this discussion...thanks to all!!

PS I put in my "Hello" to the forum that, even after buying the 3T, I am still Physis/Sonus-curious. I wrote that mostly because of Ahlborn's efforts and results--I have no worry about the 3T loosing to the Sonus (in this round )

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 16:43
#70 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

I can also use the files provided so far but I am afraid that, once disclosed the different results, Johannus owners will accuse me that I did it on purpose to make the live sound like a Hammond

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 17:10
#71 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
li

Paolo,

If the audio processing introduces such Hammond effects, I think processing the 3T sound file you have doesn't make sense (although having the ability to produce the Lesley sound is irresistable ).

Let me know what to reduce in the 3T so that the audio processing doesn't turn the 3T Cavaille-Coll sound into an audio clown car (no offense to the Hammond crowd--I love good gospel/rock/jazz/other Hammond organ produced music when sounding as intended because the main part of my professional musical life was in jazz).

Cheers,
Jeff

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 18:08
#72 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!

Zitat
Fine, I was just raising a personal concern, we can stay with the existing files. There is another major issue: we decided to record from the stereo output of the organs. While for Johannus this is the only possible way, for Physis it is not, and it is definitely not the best way. I can tell, from the first tests, that operating on such a recording does not allow by far to reach the results I have with separate channels. So, we understand that when we are talking about comparing technologies, it is more than comparing modeling and sampling, all the other features of the instruments have a big importance too.

Ein Vergleich wird immer Probleme mit sich bringen. Man muß bestimmte Aspekte eingrenzen und andere ausgrenzen. Bei der Prestige sind auch die vielen OUT-Kanäle ein deutliches Plus, um für den Livebetrieb ein ordentliches MEHR an Klang zu bekommen. Für die Testaufnahme habe ich auch die AUX verwendet. Ich kann Dir auch eine Raum-Aufnahme machen, jedoch ist da auch gleich wieder das Problem, daß die Mikrophone den lebendigen Klang wieder auf Stereo zurückbringen, auch wenn der Gesamteindruck anders als über AUX sein wird.
Ich halte Raumaufnahmen für den Vergleich aber weniger zielführend, da allein schon die Mikrophonauswahl einiges in der Qualität ausmacht und dann natürlich auch der originale Raum auf das Gesamtbild einwirkt.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 18:19
#73 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

Zitat von Ippenstein im Beitrag #72

Ein Vergleich wird immer Probleme mit sich bringen. Man muß bestimmte Aspekte eingrenzen und andere ausgrenzen. Bei der Prestige sind auch die vielen OUT-Kanäle ein deutliches Plus, um für den Livebetrieb ein ordentliches MEHR an Klang zu bekommen. Für die Testaufnahme habe ich auch die AUX verwendet. Ich kann Dir auch eine Raum-Aufnahme machen, jedoch ist da auch gleich wieder das Problem, daß die Mikrophone den lebendigen Klang wieder auf Stereo zurückbringen, auch wenn der Gesamteindruck anders als über AUX sein wird.
Ich halte Raumaufnahmen für den Vergleich aber weniger zielführend, da allein schon die Mikrophonauswahl einiges in der Qualität ausmacht und dann natürlich auch der originale Raum auf das Gesamtbild einwirkt.

Your audio file works fine, and reflects very well the sound signature of the Prestige instruments

Antworten

Beitrag melden
05.11.2022 19:36 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 05.11.2022 19:39)
#74 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
ah

Zitat von DigitalPipes im Beitrag #68
[quote=""|p68009]

yes and no. There is certainly a degree of subjectivity in these things but when the organ sounds like having a rotary speaker... [...]

Of course, if the ensemble is excessive, clearly we cannot speak of an ensemble, but of out of tune!
From the last few posts I understand that Jeff has recorded his files with a parameter that is out of his taste, so it makes sense to record a new file with the settings he likes (I thought his sample set was already optimized with the preferences of him).

Yes, as I've said before, the Physis headphone output isn't that great, but I think it's more digital problem (mixer) than analog.
There is a kind of "simplification", perhaps intended to reduce the intermodulation distortion.
I don't know the Johannus headphone output lines, but it is clear that when testing like this, a good percentage of the difference can be made by the technology used in the output stages.

Clearly recorded with 20 separate outputs, and subsequently treating the signal in the digital domain with high-level software, means having HUGE advantages.
I only have 5 outs on the back, but please don't let me move the organ.. hindsight war can break out in my house!
I am aware that the headphone output is not the best, but we think of this as a game!

Regarding the adjustment of the air supply, I confirm that it is possible to adjust it separately for each section and pedal, and it is then calculated with the proportions given individually, with the general air supply parameter.
This makes sense because sensitivity to pitch changes is more noticeable in a section with many 16' than in a section where there are only 8', and so you can adjust this effect to a greater extent in sections that require more air.
The effect generates more realism when playing all three coupled keyboards.

You have to go to Air supply conf. (Setup menu, where you can also choose the type of bellows, wedge -baroque-, lantern -romantic-, etc.):
press the field down button, and the second screen appears, where you can adjust the intensity of each section separately.
The general parameter Air Press. (menu tuning), then calculates the pressure drops in proportion to the values ​​assigned individually.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
06.11.2022 08:35 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 06.11.2022 08:36)
#75 RE: Digital Organ Technologies - The Ultimate Match!
Di

Zitat von ahlborn im Beitrag #74

I only have 5 outs on the back, but please don't let me move the organ.. hindsight war can break out in my house!

God forbid! I certainly do not!

Zitat von ahlborn im Beitrag #74

You have to go to Air supply conf. (Setup menu, where you can also choose the type of bellows, wedge -baroque-, lantern -romantic-, etc.):
press the field down button, and the second screen appears, where you can adjust the intensity of each section separately.
The general parameter Air Press. (menu tuning), then calculates the pressure drops in proportion to the values ​​assigned individually.

Thanks very much! I totally ignored that such fine tuning of the air pressure was possible!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!